Ricky Kej is an Indian professional music composer & environmentalist. He is best known for winning two Grammy Awards, 1st in 2015 for his music album “Winds of Samsara” in the Best New Age Album category, 2nd for his music album ‘Divine Tides’ in the Best New Age Album category in April 2022. He also holds the United States Billboard #1 artist. In this article, we bring all the information about Ricky Kej, like his wife’s name, Weeding, Height, Family, Age, Career and ethnicity, his net worth, and more details you want to know.
He took birth in North Carolina, the United State of America on 5 August 1981 his birth sign is Lio. His age is 40 years as of 2022.
When he was 8 years old he moves to India’s State Bangalore with his parents. His primary education was completed in 1999 at the Bishop Cotton Boys’ School, and Cathedral High School, Bangalore. Later to pursue a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), he attends Oxford Dental College, Bangalore. He had a music interest in his childhood he was always listening to lots of songs many renowned singers. He also joined a rock band in his college time which increase his musical interest. He was a dental surgeon by qualification, but besides this, he chases his music career and makes this his profession.
- Height – 6′ 2″(approx.)
- Hair Colour – Black
- Eye Colour – Black
Family, Religion, & Ethnicity
Becouse of her mother Ricky is half-Punjabi and Because of his father, he is half-Marwari.
He is the boy child of Dr. Gyan Kej (Father) who is a general physician by profession and spent his life’s a big part in North Carolina, West Virginia, and New York US. Gyan moved to India in 1986. Ricky’s mother’s name is Pammi Kej. He has one sibling his brother who is in the US.
Janaki Das Mehra was the maternal grandfather of Recky. Janaki was an Olympic cyclist, freedom fighter, and actor.
On 18 March 2014, he got married to Varsha Gowda who is the daughter of former KAS officer Y K Muddukrishna. Ricky’s wife before her marriage served as the assistant VP of an advertising & PR firm. After that Varsha also worked as a Musician and she works with her husband Kej in lots of musical compositions as of 2022. Varsha Gowda belongs to the Kannadiga Gowda family.
According to a source about his wedding, Ricky said
“(It was a choice between having a ceremony in court or a 1,000-guest wedding. When we decided to get married, I told my dad that we’d like it small. I was quite surprised that he actually agreed. In fact, they had zeroed in on March 17, 2014 (Monday), to sign the papers. But since we thought that the court would be buzzing with activity on a Monday, we decided to go ahead instead of on what people generally consider unlucky, a Tuesday.)”
Girlfriend & Affairs
In 2006. He first time meet Varsha and after that, they meet in 2013, and the same year they decided to get married. In an Interview, Ricky talked about his first meeting with Varsha.
“(You know, the way we met was quite typical. Varsha used to work with the Zee Group, while I used to work along with the advertising agency for jingles.)”
In 2001, Mr. Kej started his career as a keyboardist with the rock band, Angel Dust, in Bengaluru. But that band not running many days and only two years people start to avoid this band. And that time he choose his own music setup.
Mr. Kej create his own music studio named “Raveolution” in Indiranagar, Bangalore in 2003 and then he started composing music for radio jingles and got huge popularity for this. He then composed music for popular brands like Kingfisher, Airtel, Pantaloons, Lifestyle and Pantaloons, and Vodafone. It then delivers signature music for large IT ventures such as Google, Microsoft, IGATE, Biocon, IBM, and Wipro, and others such as Bingo, Air India, Mitsubishi Motors, Sunfeast, Peter England, Toyota, Prestige Properties, Essilor, and Sasken Is. Along with this, he is also giving music and voice-over in many commercials. His compositions are among the best based on Indian classical music and Carnatic music.
He composed music in February 2011 for “the Cricket World Cup” opening ceremony at Dhakka. till then he released almost seventeen studio albums which were published in America but not in India. On the ZMR Top 100 Radio Airplay Chart, He peaked at no.3, for his 13th studio album titled “Shanti Orchestra” on 9 July 2013. on this chart, he got no.37 ranking. The same year he was selected for the 2013 “ZMr Music Awards”. In 2013 his trace “Forever” was nominated for Hollywood Music in Media (HMMA) Award.
He published his 14th studio album titled “Winds of Samsara” with the South African flutist Wouter Kellerman in 2014. This album was completed in almost two years. this album connected the relationship between Nelson Mandela and Mahatma Gandhi. And this album was No. 1 on the US Billboard New Age Albums Chart in August 2014, which was also 1st human of Indian origin. Same year announced that they are nominees in the Best New Age Album category for a Grammy award and fortunately they won the Grammy award on 8 February 2015.
He collaborated with British musician and singer Peter Gabriel in 2015 and published a double benefit music album “2 Unite All”. That album deals with the goodness of celebrating the prayers of the Palestinian and Israeli people. There was help for humanitarian to Palestinians in Gaza. Many big bands and personalities such as Def Leppard, Sasha Cooke, Serge Tankian, and Stewart Copeland have been included.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Ricky’s album “Shanti Sansar – World Music for Environmental Consciousness” at the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference at COP21, on 30 November 2015. PM Modi personally presented a copy of the CD to French President “François Hollande”. In the same year, he also gave a performance at the event for the Assembly of World Leaders and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
He was the goodwill ambassador for Save the Children’s new global campaign “Every Last Child” on 26 April 2016 in Jaipur Rajasthan. He made 27 children’s rhymes based on 17 Sustainable Development Goals in 2018, which was an intro for children to learn the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),. These songs publish in more than 5 million books in several languages like Hindi, Kannada, and English. Kej also composed music for 5 Kannada movies like Crazy Kutumba (2010), Venkata in Sankata (2009), and Accident (2008).
Ricky Kej Nationality, Biodata, Net Worth
|Real Name||Ricky Kej|
|Profession||music composer & environmentalist|
|Famous As||music composer & environmentalist|
|Wife/Girlfriend Name||Varsha Gowda|
|Age||40 years old(As of 2022)|
|Height (Approx)||In centimeters-183 cm
In meters- 1.83 m
In Feet Inches-6.2
|Weight (Approx)||In Kilograms-65 kg
In Pounds- 160 lbs
|Date of Birth||5 August 1981|
|Birth Place||North Carolina, the United State of America|
|School Name||The Bishop Cotton Boys’ School, and Cathedral High School|
|College Name||Oxford Dental College, Bangalore|
|Qualifications||Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)|
|Father Name||Dr. Gyan Kej|
|Mother Name||Pammi Kej|
|Source Of Income||music composer & environmentalist|
|Appeared As||music composer & environmentalist|
|Net Worth (Approx)||$ 4 million|
- Ricky Kej has performed several live stage shows and concerts. Below is some notable live performances.
- Kej gave a musical performance during the Gala celebrating its 11th year with a week-long live event in New Orleans, Los Angeles, and ZMR Annual Music Awards in the 2015 concert.
- Ricky was invited as an alumnus of the Bishop Cotton Boys’ School, Bangalore for to give an exclusive performance for the Indian President, Pranab Mukherjee on 23 Dec. 2015 during 150th-anniversary celebrations.
- On 8th July 2016. When MP Modi visited South Africa, For welcoming Indian Prime Minster Modi, Kej and another one Wouter Kellerman gave a performance of their Grammy Award-winning album Winds of Samsara to honor Narendra Modi, dignitaries, and South African state leaders.
- In July 2016 Kej performed at the United Nations General Assembly opening of the 1-ever annual NOVUS Summit including with Lonnie Park who is a “multi-instrumentalist, musician, singer, and producer”, Sussan Deyhim who is an “Iranian humanitarian activist, vocalist, and music composer”, Premik Russell Tubbs who is “American songwriter, saxophonist, and multi-instrumentalist.
- On 23 July 2016, He did a live performance of the gala Shanti Samsara at the Bangalore Palace included with lots of known artists like Vishwa Mohan Bhatt.
- The second time, Kej Performed at the United Nations General Assembly on 17 May 2017 on his album “Shanti Samsara” was the cause of a personal invitation by the president of the UN General Assembly, Peter Thomson.
- With 200 great musicians from eight countries, Ricky performed at the historic Place “Vidhana Soudha”, Bengaluru, in front of lots of great politicians and the President of the island nation “Kiribati Anote Tong” on 6 October 2017.
- He did a performance of the Shanti Samsara Ensembl for the elimination of child brides campaign by the United Nations Women in Langley, Canada, in 2018.
- In 2018, Kej’s finale performance, Times Square, New York, at the RoundGlass Music Awards 2018, including with musicians from across the globe.
- In June 2018, he performed 2-time live concerts. 1stly performed in front of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Eric Solheim (Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Program), and many great personalities across the world, in New Delhi, During the Global Environment Day celebrations. 2nd time in front of thousands of people at the India Gate.
- The same month the same year, he also more two performed at the Surrey Fusion Festival and Simon Fraser University when he was honored by the House of “Commons of Canada”.
- On the occasion of the Indian Independence Day celebrations on 15th August 2018, Kej did a concert in Bangalore which was totally based on the brutal practice of captive bonded labor with the International Justice Mission which was watched by Thousands of people.
- At the Indian International Science Festival, Kej performed a concert, in October 2018, in the presence of the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh “Yogi Adityanath”, Indian former Prime Minister “Shri Ram Nath Kovind”, and lots of dignitaries.
- Around 10,000 “Brahma Kumaris” were present. He performed at the spiritual headquarters of “the Brahma Kumaris” in Mount Abu, Rajasthan.
- On the 50th anniversary of ‘the Chinmaya Vidyalaya educational institutions’ in Nov 2018, He performed a concert at Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium, Chennai for celebrating.
- During an annual Samsara Festival, Ricky performed at a charity concert at Proto village, Andhra Pradesh watched by thousands of the village population, on 22 December 2018.
- At the Headquarters of the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, in February 2019 to perform during the launch of WHO’s (Make Listening Safe) he was invited which was based on audio media which does not harm the hearing capacity of a human with enjoying music.
- He performed at the launch event of India’s 1st blue-chip history movie “Wild Karnataka” and he was also one who composed the original background score of the movie.
- In 2019 he was honored with the title of UNCCD Land Ambassador Ibrahim Thiaw (the Executive Secretary of the UNCCD). He also performed in front, Great leaders and dignitaries in New Delhi.
- In December 2019, He did perform a concert at the MEG Centre, Bangalore, with more than 7,000 members of the Indian Army. In 2020 at the Jaipur Literature Festival, he did a concert watched by 20,000 for Kadambotsava 2020.
- During lockdown & other restrictions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic that time he did three large-scale virtual concerts in 2020. Which was seen by more than 200 million people on television in over 75 countries for this concert, joined hand many global organizations like WWF, UNEP, WHO, WHO, Earth Day Network, Earth Day Network, UNICEF, UNCCD, and many more.
- At the United Nations General Assembly, in Sept 2020, During the Covid-19, He did lots of performances.
Another side, He did lots of live performances, judge on several singing reality television shows in India, trustee & founding member of “the Majolly Music Trust”, and this year he is working as Ambassador for the Earth Day Network, Global Ambassador for Kindness as UNESCO – MGIEP, Celebrity Supporter.
Achievements, Awards, & Honours
Two Grammy Awards
- 2015 – Best New Age Album for the music album “Winds of Samsara”
- 2022 – Best New Age Album for the music album “Divine Tides”
Awards and Honours
- 2008 – for the Jingle TreesforFree.org “One Show Award in Advertising”
- 2009 – for the Jingle Seventy mm Movie Rentals “Adfest Asia Award in Advertising”
- 2015 – for Album of the Year for the music album Winds of Samsara “ZMR Award”
- 2015 – for Best World Album for the music album Winds of Samsara “ZMR Award”
- 2015 – for Best Producer of the Year for the music album Winds of Samsara “South African Music Award”
- 2015 – Special Recognition for Global Achievement “Global Indian Music Award”
- 2015 – for Best International Musician “Mirchi Music Award”
- 2016 – for the song ‘Samsara’ from Shanti Samsara “Global Music Awards World Music”
- 2016 – for Best Open/Acoustic Open Genre for the song ‘Samsara’ from Shanti Samsara “International Acoustic Music Awards”
- 2016 – Youth Star Award
- 2016 – Radio One Award
- 2017 – for the song “Ganga” from Shanti Samsara “Barcelona International Environmental movie Festival (FICMA) Award”
- 2017 – By RNRI Awards “Professional Achievement Award”
- 2018 – for Outstanding Musical and Humanitarian Achievement “House of Commons of Canada Award”
- 2019 – for the song One With Earth Song “CineMagic Film Festival Award”
- 2019 – for the song One With Earth Song “Cult Critic Movie Awards”
- 2019 – for the music album Breathe Life “Shahu International Film Festival (SIFF) Award”
- 2019 – By Rotary Club “Citizen Extraordinaire Award “
- 2019 – By GQ Magazine “GQ Hero”
- Beverage – Tea
- Sport – Football
- Actress – Eva Green
- Cuisine – Western
- Book – The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
- Actor – Marlon Brando
- Musician – Pandit Ravi Shankar, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and Peter Gabriel.
- Kej is like to read books and cooking.
- Before he follow a non-vegetarian diet, But after sake with his wife Varsha, he turned non-vegetarian, Varsha said in an interview
“(We’d always have to order separate dishes and we wouldn’t be able to share it.)”
- Kej loves fast food.
- For releasing his stress, he smokes cigarettes & drinks alcohol.
- He has three GYM members but he doesn’t use even one, because he doesn’t like to exercise. He said in an Interveiw.
- He loves to spend his time with his friend not outside of his house but in his house.
- He has more than 100 awards from over 20 Nations.
- He is a dog lover and has two Golden Retrievers as pets.
- In fact, his music journey-based book is in the Indian School 7th class English textbook(ICSE)
- He loves to make jingle and said in an Interview,
“(Making jingles is like a workout. One day, I get to work on a Tamil folk jingle and the next day I get to work on a Celtic jingle and an Oriental jingle on the third day. It keeps you on your toes and helps you extend your creativity. The more I work on jingles the better I get at working with new people.)”
- Till now he create more than 4000 jingles, Ricky selected his jingle on Nike, for an award at the Cannes Film Festival.
- The Indian TV channel VH1 dubbed Kej as “India Rules Artist” in 2013.
- A German record producer & movies scorer Hans Zimmer 1stly congratulate him after winning the Grammy award in 2015 and take a selfie with Kej
- Kej’s mother said in an Interview that Kej got his artistic genes from his grandfather.
- In the Beginning, Kej’s parents were against his music career his father said in an interview
“(I did not have any problem with him pursuing music. However, he promised me that he would become a doctor.)”
- His father said about Kej’s teenager, He had his college exam but Kej busy recording music for a client.
- In his whole life, he never take any musical classes but at the age of 24, he studied classical music.
- His father said that Kej is self-made man in an interview
“(I have seen him really struggle. He bought a second-hand guitar from his own pocket money and learnt it without anyone’s help. I did not give him any money, yet he built his studio. I used to feel sorry for him carrying big instruments while he was a very small boy.)”
“(We did not help him in any way in his pursuit of music. He is a self-made man who started from scratch.)”
- Media get-to-gather in 2015, When some asked about his Grammy win son, He told
“(I am extremely proud of him. I was able to watch only a minute of his Grammy speech, but I think it was one of the best I have ever heard. It was very fluent and very precise.)”
- During the winning speech of Kej and Stewart Copeland’s the Best New Age Album category, Kej when receive the trophy. He greeted the all people with “Namaste” and started his with speech the Sanskrit word “Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam” which means all world is one family, in 2022.
- He said in an Interview, About his Grammy Awards 2022, that is most special to him… With that he said
“(I have grown up listening to his music and his music has shaped my entire life (when it comes to my musical career) and to have this privilege to create an album with him and to actually win a Grammy along with him on the same stage has been quite a surreal experience.)”
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi congratulated him in his Twitter post for his achievement and wrote
“(Congratulations for this remarkable feat and best wishes for your future endeavours!)”
“(Wow.. speechless! To receive praise from the Hon’ble Prime Minister himself! Thank you @narendramodi ji, I hope I made you proud. You set me on the path of Environmental Consciousness 7 years ago when I won my 1st GRAMMY Award, and here I am today 🙂 Thanks for your blessings.)”
Read Also:- How did Beverly Lambert Die? What has happened to Beverly Lambert?
Ricky Kej Wiki Profiles [Instagram, Twitter, Facebook]
FAQ About Ricky Kej
Q.1 Who is Ricky Kej?
Ans. Ricky Kej is a music composer & environmentalist.
Q.2 Who is his Wife/Girlfriend of Ricky Kej?
Ans. Varsha Gowda
Q.3 What is the Age of Ricky Kej?
Ans. 40 years old